(above photo: Antarctica. Adelie penguins. ©Carl Safina.)
We’ve made it easy for you to stay up-to-date on the latest environmental issues and how to take action. Click through the following pages to learn more:
- Environmental Policy – President Donald Trump has vowed to roll back many environmental regulations and cut funding for environmental programs that safeguard human and environmental health. Here’s a list of the damage he and his administration have caused so far.
- Climate – Experts on the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change say, “Scientific evidence for warming of the climate system is unequivocal.” In other words, there are no doubts climate change is real, and it’s happening quickly. According to the U.S. EPA, by 2100 global temperatures are expected to increase by 0.5 to 8.6 degrees Fahrenheit, with an estimated increase of at least 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit given current greenhouse gas emissions. This increase in temperature is expected to cause more frequent and intense heat waves, change weather patterns and threaten the survival of plant and animal species. If you care about climate change, here are some things you can do.
- Land and Wildlife – Initiatives to exploit fossil fuels, minerals, water, forests and other resources, as well as the expansion of cities and other developments are major sources of habitat loss for wildlife. Without a safe place to live, wildlife species will go extinct. Also threatening many wildlife species’ chances for survival are hunting and harassment–people kill animals for food, recreation and economic purposes. And in some cases, animals are killed for no good reason at all. Learn more about these issues, and what you can do to help, here.
- Ocean – The oceans cover more than 70 percent of the Earth’s surface, and yet they’re one of the least-understood habitats on the planet. And unfortunately, they’re one of the most threatened–by things like climate change, overfishing, bycatch, plastic pollution, and more. More and greater efforts to protect the oceans and the life they contain are vital. Learn more about what you can do to help here.
- Seafood Health – The Safina Center has been at the vanguard of safe and sustainable seafood since our organization’s founding. Learn more about our Sustainable Seafood Program.