Carl Safina’s writing about the living world has won a MacArthur “genius” prize, Pew, and Guggenheim Fellowships; book awards from Lannan, Orion, and the National Academies; and the John Burroughs, James Beard, and George Rabb medals.
His seabird studies earned a PhD in ecology from Rutgers; he then spent a decade working to ban high-seas drift nets and to overhaul U.S. fishing policy. These days his focus is writing and speaking. Safina is now the first Endowed Professor for Nature and Humanity at Stony Brook University (where he formerly co-chaired the Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science), and he runs the not-for-profit Safina Center. He hosted the PBS series Saving the Ocean. His writing appears in The New York Times, TIME, Audubon, and on the Web at National Geographic News and Views, Huffington Post, CNN.com, and elsewhere. He is author of the classic book, Song for the Blue Ocean. Carl’s seventh book is Beyond Words; What Animals Think and Feel. He lives on Long Island, New York with his wife Patricia and their dogs and feathered friends.
FOLLOW Carl on Twitter
FOLLOW Carl on Instagram
Notable works, coverage and accomplishments
- Pain is a subjective thing, or is it?Pain is a subjective thing, or is it? a radio interview with Carl Safina and others. The Colin McEnroe Show/Connecticut Public Radio. (2019).
- Beyond Words: What elephants and whales think and feel, a young reader’s adaptation of The New York Times bestseller, by Carl Safina. E-book and hardcover editions. Roaring Book Press. (2019).
- Ocean deoxygenation: Time for action, by Carl Safina, et al. Science. (2018).
- In defense of biodiversity: Why protecting species from extinction matters, by Carl Safina. Yale e360. (2018).
- Are we wrong to assume fish can’t feel pain? by Carl Safina. The Guardian. (2018).
- Walk with us, Ryan Zinke, and see the folly in what you’ve done, by Kim Heacox. The Washington Post. (2018).
- The power forest, by Carl Safina. EcoWatch. (2018).
- While Cape Cod bleeds, San Francisco leads, by Carl Safina and Erica Cirino. Cape Cod Times. (2018).
- KTEP ACT Radio, interview. KTEP. (2018).
- Trump’s offshore drilling plan is simply a terrible idea, by Carl Safina. The Hill. (2018).
- The blind men and the elephants, by Carl Safina. WBUR. (2017).
- Pebble Mine is a poison pill for Alaska’s wild salmon, by Carl Safina. Los Angeles Times. (2017).
- Elephants mourn. Dogs love. Why do we deny the feelings of other species? by Carl Safina. The Guardian. (2017).
- More, not less, by Carl Safina. The New York Times Book Review. (2017).
- How we got–y’know–here, by Carl Safina. Purist. (2017).
- What does it mean that another elephant has fallen? by Carl Safina. Medium. (2017).
- Tilikum: A killer whale’s tragic life, by Carl Safina. Medium. (2017).
- Beyond Words; What Animals Think and Feel. 12 international translations: China, Korea, Poland, Lithuania, France, Germany (print and audio), Italy, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Spain and the UK. (2017).
- Foreword to Radiographic: X-ray photo inventions, a book by Steve Miller. Glitterati Editions. (2017).
- Beyond Words; What animals think and feel, a book by Carl Safina. Paperback edition. Picador Press. (2016).